Dear Congregational Family,
1. XYZ will be held this Friday at church beginning at noon with a wonderful meal, followed by Jody Garlick, a registered and licensed dietitian, speaking about the importance of a healthy, aging microbiome (healthy gut). She will also provide a live cooking demonstration. Today is the last chance to sign up. Call Melissa or Sally at the church office @ 412-835-7140
2. Movie Night: On Sunday evening, we will be showing “Ends of the Earth.” This movie features Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) pilots going to some of the most isolated villages in the world and being willing to risk all to share the love of Christ. MAF is one of the ministries which we support.
- Showing 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Snacks will be provided!
3. New Members Class: We had a wonderful group of individuals come to this class in the Fireside Lounge on Sunday! If you know anyone else who is interested in learning more about our church, please invite them as well. The class meets during the Sunday School time.
4. The State of the Church in America:
The Christian Post (Jan. 8, 2023) included a survey revealing that “A third of Americans have stopped going to church.” The article reported, “…a new study on how the COVID-19 pandemic lockdowns impacted church attendance in the United States has found that roughly one in three Americans now say they’ve stopped attending religious services.” This percentage greatly increased during the lockdowns, and although many have come back to church, many have never returned. Additionally, the article reports that the “American Bible Society found that 40% of Generation Z adults ages 18 and older attended church ‘primarily online.’ They were followed closely by 36% of churchgoers ages 77 and older.” Furthermore, “the report suggested that among Gen Z and millennials who had made a meaningful commitment to Jesus, about 66% did not attend church either in person or online at least once a month.”
Sam Rainer, president of “Church Answers,” told The Christian Post that he believed “there are times and there are seasons in the life of the church where a plateau is not a bad place to be. If you are holding your own with attendance right now, if you are stable in attendance, I view that as a victory because it’s been harder to draw new people in during this season.”
5. Sermon: Title: “What Does God Desire? Justice, Mercy, Humility”
Text: Micah 6:8
God bless you as we continue,
“Growing Together in our Faith as the Family of God.”