Dear Congregational Family,
1. Ordination and Installation: Pastor McMinn will be taking his ordination vows and also being installed here at Ruthfred this Sunday at a special service at 2:00pm. Very few congregations get the privilege of participating in a service like this, so this is an extraordinary opportunity for us. Rev. Lyndon Korhonen, our national denominational president will be bringing the message and presiding over the ordination and installation. Please plan now to be part of this special day for Pastor McMinn, his family, and our entire church family. A simple luncheon (served by gloved and masked servers) will follow in the Fellowship Hall (with social distance spacing). This service will also be livestreamed.
2. Hymnal: Today, my Red Hymnal (providentially) fell open to page 285. I had never turned to this page before. It is the “Introduction to the Common Hymnal” and gives the history of how our Red Hymnal came into existence. I was surprised to learn that the work on this hymnal was inaugurated in Pittsburgh in June 1945! Seventy-five years ago this month, the project of this masterpiece hymnal was began. It was a comprehensive work which included a vast array of Lutheran denominations. Within a few years, over 66% of all Lutheran Churches in the U.S. and Canada would use this hymnal. Even though Ruthfred has from the very first week, used a variety of hymnals for our hymn choices, the Red Hymnal has been our mainstay for liturgy and hymns.
3. Luther on music: “I wish to see all arts, principally music, in the service of Him who gave and created them. Music is a fair and glorious gift of God. I would not for the world forego my humble share of music. Singers are never sorrowful, but are merry, and smile through their troubles in song. Music makes people kinder, gentler, more staid and reasonable. I am strongly persuaded that after theology there is no art than can be placed on a level with music; for besides theology, music is the only art capable of affording peace and joy of the heart … the devil flees before the sound of music almost as much as before the Word of God.”
4. Visits: If you would like to have a pastoral visit, please contact the church office. We recognize that some of you have been waiting for a visit, while others are not comfortable with a visit at this time. Please let us know how we can best minister to you. (We have masks!)
5. Church Camping Trip: This weekend is our church camping trip at Moraine State Park in Portersville, PA. You can register online at www.ruthfred.org or contact David Compel or Brandon Fouks.
6. College Graduates: Please let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you or someone in your family has graduated from college. We would like to print students’ names and school in the bulletin and in the Herald to honor them.
7. Sermon: Title: “Daily Renewal in the Christian Life”
Text: Ephesians 4:22-24
God bless you as we continue,
“Growing Together in our Faith as the Family of God”
Dear Congregational Family,