Dear Congregational Family,
1. Election Day: A week from today is Primary Election Day here in Pennsylvania. With so many issues in our culture that are challenging traditional Judeo-Christian values, it is more important than ever to make your voices heard. A few days ago Jill Kurtz forwarded an email to me from an organization called the Pennsylvania Family Institute. They provide a site to assist with researching candidates: pafamilyvoter.com. Whether you use that site or other resources, please do some research and exercise your privilege to vote on May 17th. The PA Family Institute also offered this advice:
* Pray for the safety of the US Supreme Court justices and for a just outcome in the Dobbs ruling;
* Pray that religious freedom and God’s design is defended in Pennsylvania;
* Pray for the outcome of the upcoming elections, so that we may see a Pennsylvania where God is honored, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive, and life is cherished.
2. My Church, My Church, My Dear Old Church:
Every so often I pause and wonder at what a beehive of activity Ruthfred Lutheran Church is. Below is a list that I quickly threw together. Please forgive me because I know for sure that I’m forgetting something or somebody!
|VISITATION VOLUNTEERS||TRUSTEES||ALTAR GUILD|
|JOURNEY THROUGH THE WORD||FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT||FOOD HOSPITALITY|
|SMALL GROUP BIBLE STUDIES||BUSINESS MANAGEMENT||XYZ FELLOWSHIP|
|VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL||SECRETARIAL WORK||PRESCHOOL|
|VARIOUS CHARITY EFFORTS||CUSTODIAL WORK||NURSERY|
|WOMEN’S MINISTRY||MULTI-MEDIA WORK||SUNDAY SCHOOL|
|MEN’S MINISTRY||CHURCH PICNIC||FUNERALS|
|VARIOUS FESTIVAL ACTIVITIES||YOUTH MINISTRY||WEDDINGS|
|KNITTING, SEWING, & CRAFT GROUPS||HERALD NEWSLETTER||LIBRARY|
Granted many of these “activities” are common to all organizations. But many are also unique to God’s Church, the organization that God has ordained for proclaiming His Gospel message and for shepherding His people. All of the “activities” listed above, however, are wonderful ways to serve that mission. Thanks be to God for the many talented and willing servants among us! If you have not yet found a way to “plug in” somewhere, please do. You will be blessed and be a blessing to others!
3. Sunday Sermon: Title: “Grief Turned Into Joy”
Text: John 16:12-22
Growing Together in our Faith as the Family of God,
Tom Glasser for Pastor Carlson*