Dear Congregational Family,
1. Storms of Life: Hurricane Season is certainly upon us! These past days, many of us who have dear friends in Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas, (and especially in the Bahamas!) have been watching as Hurricane Dorian has been slowly moving with great devastation causing loss of life and property. Storms cause us to have great fear! When Jesus’ disciples were in the boat on the Sea of Galilee, a terrible (I think a good case can even be made for this storm even being demonic) storm suddenly came up and they “feared for their lives!” Jesus was sleeping at the time! Sometimes, we might wonder if God is “sleeping” while we go through turbulent waters! Thankfully, God is not “sleeping on the job” and He does come to our rescue. Sometimes He does calm the storm, as Jesus did that day for the disciples; but other times, He lets the storm rage, but He protects us with His presence and gives us an internal peace that “passes understanding.”
2. Men’s Annual Brotherhood Steak & Chicken Dinner:
· Date: September 19th.
· Time: 6:30pm.
· Place: Ruthfred Lutheran Church – Fellowship Hall
· Speaker: Dr. Ron Good. Dr. Good is an orthodontist in the South Hills, with practices in Mt. Lebanon, Washington, and Pleasant Hills. He will be sharing on how his life of faith and how his Christianity impacts his business practices, as well also sharing about a number of mission trips that have shaped his life.
· Cost: $15.00.
· Contact person: Pete Huwe (or Pastor Carlson).
3. Fall Opportunities: Children’s Sunday School has begun. Confirmation starts this Wednesday. Next week, Children’s choir, Kid’s Time, Senior choir, Journey Through The Word (morning and evening – please register ASAP!) are all starting as well! Please step out and connect in one of these ministries and grow in your faith and enjoy fellowship with your brothers and sisters in Christ!
4. Adult Sunday School: Last week, we continued with a delightful discussion about our church and our beliefs. This week we will look briefly at our history which has shaped our church and then proceed with a time devoted to Q & A for the sharing of ideas, desires, and dreams that you might have for our congregation and expressly in regards to calling a second pastor. All are encouraged to participate in this!
5. Sermon text for this Sunday is Luke 15:1-10. The title is: “The Lost Lamb.”
6. Quoted on Sunday: Last Sunday I quoted from “The Ragamuffin Gospel” by Brennan Manning (p.15). It is a beautiful book about God’s grace. (Not to be confused with another good book, “The Ragman” which I quoted from earlier this summer.)
God bless you as we continue,
“Growing Together in our Faith as the Family of God”